How To Train A Dog To Wipe His Paws
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
Great for cleaning off muddy paws after a walk, you can teach your dog to wipe his paws on a mat at the front door before entering the house.
- For this trick you will need either a mat or a towel, some treats and of course your dog.
- Place the mat/ towel on the ground and encourage your dog to stand on it, reinforce this position and reward with a treat.
- If your dog leaves the towel just wait for him to return to it and reinforce/ reward when he does
- Whilst he is standing on the item withhold a treat and wait for him to move his feet, if any movement is made regardless of how subtle reinforce the act and reward.
- Now it’s just a case of waiting for your dog to realize that his movement on the towel provides reward.
- Introduce command word and enhance the behavior by gently withholding the reward.
Top tip; if your dog scratches the ground on walks you can also reinforce and reward this behavior using the command word. This will help him get the idea when learning the trick on a towel at home.
Dog trainers love this trick because it utilizes the natural behavior of a dog and is helpful after long muddy walks, perfect for multi dog homes.