How To Train A Dog To Pass A Note
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
This is a fun trick for all of the family. Writing a note and passing it to the dog to take to someone in another room is great.
- For this you will need a sheet of paper, a helper, some treats and of course your dog.
- Fold the paper and teach your dog to hold it in his mouth. You can teach hold by giving your dog the note then swapping the note for a treat a few times and lengthening the time between each treat. Initially the dog may only hold the note for a fraction of a second but this will improve with swapping for treats.
- When your dog is holding the note ask your helper to call him to them and encourage the dog to swap the note for a treat.
- Ask your helper to give the dog the note and at the same time call your dog for another swapping session. Repeat this until the dog is confident to go between you carrying the note.
- Extend the distance that your dog travels carrying the note until he can pass a note to someone by travelling through the entire house.
Top tip; if your dog finds it difficult to hold the note you can roll it up and wrap it in an elastic band for easier transit
Dog trainers love this trick because it can be easily modified and a dog can be a useful addition to a busy household by enhancing communication in a fun way.