How To Train A Dog To Open The Door
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
A trick that teaches your dog to open a door, some dogs may need a little help with this due to size and handle type, a dog that can open a door on command will impress everyone in the room.
- To train your dog to open the door you can start by using a low cabinet.
- Give your dog something to pull, this will be less intimidating that a door handle so attach a long piece of fabric to the knob or handle.
- Encourage your dog to touch the fabric and praise him when he touches the fabric.
- Encourage your dog to pull the fabric in order to open the door. The pulling action can also be reinforced by play and tug games. Introduce the command word and don’t forget to reinforce and reward any progression towards opening the door.
- Attach a command to the pulling action and progress gradually to rewarding your dog when he has opened the door.
Top tip; this trick is fantastic for external doors when your dog needs to go outside to toilet.
Dog trainer’s love this trick because when your dog can open a door this can progress to more impressive acts.