How To Train A Dog To Hop
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
This trick is really impressive and can be used as a standalone trick or part of a routine. You will need your target stick for this as you are going to hold it for your dog to jump over.
- Lay your target stick on the ground and encourage your dog to step over it by calling him to you.
- Reinforce and reward as he steps over the target stick
- Now hold the stick in one hand and ask your dog to sit and wait, hold the stick parallel to the ground at a few inches high out from your body so it resembles a hurdle to your dog.
- Now using your other hand and your voice encourage your dog to jump or step over the stick, reinforce that action and reward.
- Introduce your command word
- Practice and gradually make the stick higher until your dog is hopping it perfectly at any reasonable height.
Top tip; you can ask a friend to call your dog over the stick initially if your dog needs extra encouragement.
Dog trainers love this trick because it is so neat and versatile. It is also often utilized in heelwork to music and enhanced obedience routines.