How To Train A Dog To Give Your His Toy
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
Present is a useful trick for a dog that likes to hold on to a toy and not give it back to you. Your dog will learn to come to you with a toy in his mouth and sit before offering you the opportunity to take the toy from him.
- Teach your dog to swap by always having something more interesting available that will motivate him to release his precious toy. If when you call him back he prefers to parade around you showing off his treasure, then you need to show less interest to him than to the toy or treat in your own hand.
- If you make him believe you have something wonderful it is guaranteed that he will come to you.
- When he heads towards you with the toy in his mouth reinforce and quickly call him for reward.
- When he gets to you swap the reward for the toy that he is holding.
- Add the command word and throw the toy again.
- When your dog brings his toy directly back to you on command withhold the treat until he sits in front of you. He will work that out for himself.
Top tip; don’t chase your dog, it never works and will only encourage him to run away in glee. If he does not come back you must make yourself an interesting prospect with the promise of reward and praise.
Dog trainers love the retrieve and present as it encourages focus on the toy on walks and during training sessions.