How To Train A Dog To Give Nose Nudges
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
This trick is wonderful, it is taught to assistance dogs as a way to get their handlers attention by applying a gentle nudge from the nose.
- Have a treat in your hand and show them to your dog then close your fist and offer it to him.
- Your dog is likely to touch your hand with his nose at some point. When he does this immediately reinforce and open your hand.
- Repeat this but each time wait a little longer before reinforcement this will encourage your dog to nudge a little harder. Add your command word.
- Gradually bring the command word forwards until your dog knows that he must nudge you with his nose when he hears it.
- Practice by reinforcing the nose nudge until your dog is completely competent.
Top tip; regardless of where on your person he nudges you this action should be rewarded as this will build his confidence.
Dog trainers love this trick because it is teaching your dog a non-invasive and gentle way to ask for your attention.