How To Train A Dog To Fetch The Remote Control
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
A trick that can be used every day, teach your dog to fetch the TV remote and you will never lose it again. Prepare for a soggy remote if you have a particularly slobbery dog.
- Place the TV remote on the floor in front of your dog and place a treat on it.
- When your dog touches the remote control in order to get the treat then reinforce the touch and give him a second food reward.
- Repeat this until your dog is touching the remote control without the need for you to put a treat on it and add the command word in just as he touches the item.
- Repeat a few times until your dog realizes that the command word means the remote control then gently withhold the reinforcement and reward in order to build your dog’s frustration.
- Whilst withholding reinforcement you can then shape your dogs behavior by reinforcing each time he attempts to pick up the item, eventually your dog will pick up the remote on command.
- Now withhold the reward in order to encourage him to bring the remote control directly to you.
Top tip; Practice makes perfect with this trick
Dog trainers love this trick because it can be utilized in many ways in order to train a dog to retrieve almost anything.