How To Train A Dog To Fetch His Bowl
This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
Fetching a bowl is an excellent trick where your dog fetches his food bowl to ask you to fill it with food. This looks great however you may be fending off a hungry dog more often than you would like.
- Begin training this by targeting your dog to his food bowl. Bring the food bowl into the training area and draw your dog’s attention to it.
- Each time he touches the bowl you must reinforce and reward the action.
- Begin to withhold the reward until your dog realizes that he must move the bowl for the desired result. Add your command word.
- Next only reward when your dog picks the bowl up. Then only when he holds it until you take it from him. When you take the bowl from your dog add another small reward into the bowl and allow him to eat it straightaway.
- Practice until your dog can pick the bowl up and bring it to you.
Top tip; if your dog loses confidence just go back to stage two and work through them more slowly to ensure that he has learned what he needs to progress.
Dog trainers love this trick because a hungry and persistent dog will never allow you to forget their meal.