This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
This trick consists of the dog jumping through a hoop held at any height or angle. The hoop can be suspended in the air or held by the handler.
- The hoop can be a light tire or anything reasonably light to lift that the dog can easily jump through.
- Ask your dog to sit and wait and place a treat on the ground in front of him, at a distance of about one meter.
- Now put the hoop between the dog and his treat, perimeter on the ground so that the dog simply walks through it to fetch his treat. Then tell him it’s OK to get his reward.
- Reinforce as your dog steps through the hoop and offer a second reward after he has collected the first.
- Add the command word and repeat a few times.
- When your dog gets the idea begin to raise the hoop and place it in different positions.
Top tip; remember that he will need to build confidence to jump through it so progress at your dogs pace.
Dog trainers love this trick because it can be a challenge to teach and it also builds human/canine trust.