This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
Teach your dog to come running keenly when he hears the sound of a whistle.
- This is probably one of the most important tricks that your dog will ever learn. Recall is vital and because the sound of a whistle carries a long way it makes sense to train your dog that when he hears it he returns to you.
- Easy to train you will simply need to show your dog that the whistle means that something nice is waiting.
- When you feed your dog give one short blast on the whistle so he associates the nice feeling of tucking into a meal with the sound.
- Have a friend hold your dog and wave a treat then run away to hide.
- Blow the whistle whilst your dog is released to run to you for reinforcement and reward.
Top tip; do not blow the whistle when you know the dog is too distracted to return, this will teach him to ignore the sound.
Dog trainers love this trick because it enhances canine recall.