This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
Sneaky is a trick that is quite simple but can look great in many situations. Being sneaky is just asking your dog to go underneath something. For this trick we will teach him to crawl underneath a low hurdle but when your dog knows the command you can apply it to going under anything.
- Ask your dog to sit and wait
- Place the hurdle in front of him and drop it to the height of his neck (just above his shoulders)
- Now walk around to the other side of the hurdle and lure your dog underneath it by showing him a treat. Your dog may want to jump over the hurdle if he has previously learned to do so, in this case it’s important to be close to the hurdle with the lure
- Add your command word and reinforce the moment that your dog ducks his head to go under the hurdle.
- Practice and gently change the height of the hurdle.
Top tip; you can use a light leash to gently guide your dog under the hurdle initially. This will help if he is trying to jump over it on each attempt.
Dog trainers love this trick because it can be utilized in so many ways, when your dog knows the command, sneaky, you can direct him under any obstacle.