This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
Searching a route originates from gaining security clearance along roads or through built up areas. It is not safe to do this search in traffic. However, if you regularly walk up a quiet lane or similar, searching the walking route for his toy will give your dog a good physical and mental workout.
- Training this search is similar to the garden search except that you want your dog to run up the route on your left, cross over on command to the right and run back towards you, searching all the way.
- Begin training this by placing the toy on the left so that your dog finds it whilst running up one side of the route. Use the command word when the dog is released to look for the toy.
- When established, move the toy over to the right at exactly the point you would like him to cross and turn back towards you. As he gets to this point ask him to cross over by using voice and arm signal. He will find the toy and next time he runs up the left and you ask him to cross he will immediately cross and expect his toy to be waiting.
- Practice both of the previous steps thoroughly then begin placing the toy in random places on the right so that your dog finds it on the way back to you after you have asked him to cross and called him back.
- Always reinforce your dog’s behavior as he finds the toy and reward with play at the end of every search trick.
Top tip; Start small to boost your dogs confidence five meters ahead will do and before you know it your dog will be keenly route searching a long way ahead.
Dog trainers love this trick because it is great for physical fitness and stamina of a dog.