This tutorial is part of The Ultimate List Of Dog Trick Ideas which contains 99 other tricks like this!
A dog that is laying down in front of you can easily and quickly be taught to roll over onto his back then return to his stomach in a quick 360 degree turn. A quick trick that can fit in perfectly with many other maneuvers
- Ask your dog to lie down facing you
- Take a treat and move it from the end of his nose, down his neck and over one of his shoulders, his head will automatically turn and your dog will if applied correctly roll over onto his back.
- When he is on his back bring the treat, moving in the same direction, back to his nose and your dog will roll directly over back to his stomach. At this point you can reinforce the movement whilst your dog is still rolling back onto his stomach.
- As he lands back on his stomach reward the position.
- Add the command word and repeat the act whilst gradually removing the lure.
Top tip; You can use this technique to teach roll left and roll right, but teach them separately to avoid confusing your dog.
Dog trainers love this trick because it can also be used to teach a dog to roll in his blanket, an impressive enhancement to canine bedtime